Saturday, January 24, 2009

An Ode

Many, many, years ago,
(Kids walked uphill both ways through snow)
And every baby came to earth
By excruciating, painful birth
And then, one day, there was this dude,
Who thought, "That's mean, unkind, and rude."
All women will think I am the man,
When they hear of my splendid plan.
I'll stick a needle in their back
And give them a most tasty snack.
Instead of screaming, groaning, tears,
A smile will form between their ears.
And so that is just what he did,
And now when moms give birth to kids,
They smile, they laugh, they rarely cry,
And don't feel like they're going to die.
So here's to joy and down with pain
Three cheers for dear Bupivicaine!
I think I'll paint a great big mural,
To share the love of the epidural.



To all of those women who "go natural," either through their own choice or due to a poorly functioning epidural, my hat goes off to you. To my own wife who was feeling some pretty fierce cramps before the second attempt at the epidural brought relief, you're my hero and super tough. To the person who figured out how to help my wife sleep through labor--we're forever in your debt.

(In case the poetry obscured the details, the epidural went in about 1:45 and now Christa is getting her traditional pre-birth nap)

7 comments:

  1. How long did you work on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hat is off to Marilyn who went through 5 without the benefit of an epidural. I'm glad my kids don't have to go through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last comment, was mine. Just wanted to clarify. Juli was logged in for some reason. Anyhoo, not much going on here today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Less than 10 minutes--I know it shows. I'd have perfected it more if I wasn't under command from Ben to find him a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-- I never knew you had such talent! What a poet!
    I'm glad Christa is getting a nap. She'll need it.
    Thank goodness for epidurals. and thanks for all the fun and entertaining updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [you gotta take the apostrophe out of plural moms, dude. it's ruining your opus.]

    We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I had no trouble convincing Jeremy and Tara tonight that you could rap like no other while Jess or I would beat box. Even so, that was a rare piece of work. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete